MHAM is accepting nominations for the 2012 Gloria Segal Award for excellence in improving the lives of Minnesotans with mental illnesses. This award is given to honor the memory of Representative Gloria Segal. Representative Segal served in the Minnesota House of Representatives from 1983 until her untimely death in 1993. In her 10 years in the legislature, she worked tirelessly to change how people with mental illnesses are treated in Minnesota. She led the way in the passage of groundbreaking legislation such as mandating coverage of mental health treatment in group health insurance plans and the creation of the mental health division at the Department of Health and Human Services, the State Ombudsman’s Office for Mental Health, and the State Advisory Council.
The Gloria Segal Award is given to an individual who has improved the lives of a great number of Minnesotans with mental illnesses. Accomplishments may include:
- Empowering people with mental illnesses
- Clinically treating people with mental illnesses
- Championing key legislation
- Increasing resources for people with mental illnesses
- Creating or improving systems of care for people with mental illnesses
- Performing key research in the area of mental health
- Creating a popular book/movie/play or other work of art that significantly decreases stigma
The Gloria Segal Award has been received by Representative Mindy Greiling in 2009 and Robin Wold and Hope House in Bemidji in 2011.
Do you know someone who has significantly improved the lives of Minnesotans with mental illnesses? We invite you to let us know! Please provide a short narrative including:
- Name and phone number of the person you are nominating
- Your name, phone number, and email
- Nominee’s relationship to the mental health community
- Activities which improve the lives of people with mental illnesses
- Accomplishments in those activities
Nominations will be accepted May 15 through June 30, 2012. The award will be presented at the 3rd Annual Celebrating Recovery event on September 27, 2012.
Submit your nomination to edeide @ mentalhealthmn.org or via mail to:
Mental Health Association of Minnesota
Attn: Gloria Segal Award Nomination Committee
475 Cleveland Avenue N, Suite 222
Saint Paul, MN 55104